Inexpensive vs. Expensive Yarn

As a pretty new knitter I've been having a great time scouring the web for new and exciting patterns to try out. When I do see an item that I want to tackle, that's when the fun starts. 

The Yarn. 

What color? what weight of yarn?  what brand? expensive vs. inexpensive yarn?  The questions     are endless. 

As I drool walking through the aisles of local yarn and craft stores I feel there is no real answer to the question of Inexpensive vs. Expensive Yarn
 
To me,knitting isn't about saving money all the time- it is about the craft of knitting or crocheting, enjoying the process, and having a handmade treasure when you finish.

Right now,my preference is yarn that is around my limit of $15/ skein or less- those more expensive yarns are  a dream to work with, I'm not going to lie. There are a few patterns that I would love to make in yarn that runs higher because they are pretty. 

I usually use inexpensive yarns for learning new techniques or if I'm trying out a new or tricky looking pattern, or making a gift that I know would get a lot of wear and tear. 

Inexpensive yarns are also good for washable blankets, fast knitted mittens, things you want to wash a lot.


Anyhoo- just my opinion. 

 My latest stash of yarn that I'm working with

Malabrigo Sock Yarn in Stonechat 
$19 
100% Superwash Merino 
440 yards



Comments

  1. There is a yarn store in Queens NY that sells quality yarn at discounted prices called Smiley's. They also have an online store www.smileysyarns.com. It is my favorite yarn store. I'm sure that you will find quality yarn you like .

    Happy Knitting

    Kim

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts